Monday, March 13, 2006

The Job Search, Part I

"Hello, Universal Press Syndicate. How may I help you?"

"Yes, Hi. I'd like to talk with someone about producing a comic strip, please."

"Certainly. I can help you with that. Are you an artist?"

"Actually, no. I can't draw worth a lick."

"But didn't you say you are producing a comic strip?"

"Well, actually, it's more an idea of a comic strip."

"I see. And how are you going to produce this comic strip if you can't draw?"

"Why not? It works for Doonesbury and Boondocks."

"Are you a writer, then?"

"Hmm, no, not really."

"Look, sir, if you're not an artist or a writer, how can you hope to produce a comic strip?"

"Well, here's my idea: you sign me to a big, fat contract and then I'll announce that I'm taking a long sabbatical to recharge my batteries. While I'm gone, you guys can publish all my other funny stuff."

"Your other 'funny' stuff? Sir, how can we do that when you haven't given us anything funny to publish in the first place?"

"I don't know. Ask Aaron McGruder. Hello? Hello?"

Damn. He hung up.

No comments: