Friday, March 17, 2006

Erin Go Bragh!

It's my day off and St. Patty's Day, which means the Irish whiskey (the only whiskey with an "e") is out early and often. Don't worry. I have no plans to go out and join the throngs would-be Irish at the local pub. These days - when I drink - I prefer to drink at home, where I can be as maudlin as I wish without fear of being seen as a sentimental old fool.

On a day such as this, it is only fitting to offer a toast:

To all the friends I've known and lost
And all my family here and there
Each day exacts a hidden cost
Which all of us must bear

But inasmuch as Jesus wept
And tears do cleanse the soul
The dues in life we must accept
Our right and proper toll

So life would seem a bitter brew
A tale of doubt and woe
Except but for the likes of you
The blessings you bestow

And so for you this day I cry
For you I raise my glass
I'll love you till the day I die
The rest can kiss my ass

No comments: