Saturday, March 04, 2006

Dealing

Okay, so it's happened. The bean-counters have spoken and the conclusion is that we are not cost-effective. We're too small, too remote and the revenue does not justify the expense. And so I will never fulfill my dream of being a part of "America's Department Store". Well, not my dream, actually. In fact, I don't remember ever entertaining any desire to even visit said department store, much less be a part of it. Still, rejection is never easy - even when it's by someone you were never really attracted to in the first place.

The good news is that this is what I'd call a "phased" termination. I'm guaranteed employment until at least April 15 and, if I keep my nose clean and play by the rules, there will be a small severance package to help ease my entry into the ranks of the unemployed. And this isn't the first time. I was similarly downsized six years ago in a dot.com meltdown and close on twenty years ago I was let go from a job I'd held for ten years in a moment of what might best be termed "irreconcilable differences". In both those cases it was a "here's your hat, what's your hurry" sort of firing so in some respects I guess I should count my blessings.

So, I have some time. More to come, obviously.

No comments: