Monday, August 13, 2007

On the Bookshelf

Now that I've had my Harry Potter fix, I'm re-reading William Goldman's Marathon Man, to be followed by its lesser known sequel, Brothers.

William Goldman was a huge influence on both my reading and writing back in the day. I saw the movie Harper when I was thirteen, No Way to Treat a Lady two years later (even though he didn't write the screenplay) and, like most people, I was blown away by Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid in 1969. I saw Marathon Man the first day it opened and was treated to a copy of the book as a promotional tie-in.

From a writing standpoint, Goldman's real legacy - other than perhaps The Princess Bride - is his work on screenwriting: Adventures in The Screen Trade and Which Lie Did I Tell?. Along with Stephen King's Danse Macabre (and perhaps King's On Writing), these books offer the best guide to how a writer thinks and what goes on the creative mind.

If you're a writer or just interested in how it happens, I can't recommend them highly enough.

2 comments:

Kate Willoughby said...

I adored ON WRITING. I admire Stephen King immensely.

Gaucho said...

Big Stevie is probably the most accessible popular writer of the last fifty years. His non-fiction work (and Goldman's) is straight-forward, thoughtful, easy to digest and grounded in the blue-collar ethics of good writing.

Strunk and White would be proud.