Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Would You Buy a Used Car From This Man?

I caught a few minutes of the Dennis Miller show on the radio this morning - completely by accident, I'm not usually driving at that hour and I don't listen to talk radio anymore - and what struck me wasn't the commentary on his show but rather the way he read commercials.

Now, I like Miller; I think he's a funny guy and I also give him props for being that rarest of commodities: a hollywood conservative. And I know that when you have a radio call-in show like his, reading commercial copy is by and large part and parcel of the gig. In fact, advertisers probably pay a few bucks more if Miller reads the copy, thinking that the celebrity quotient might help them sell some more product.

But this is Dennis Miller, gang. Listening to him read ads is like listening to Robin Williams recite Shakespeare: you keep waiting for the punchline. It doesn't matter whether he's telling you to invest in gold, listen to Bose headphones or letting you in on the secret of how he's now a morning person because of his new mattress, it all comes across as pure, unadulterated bullshit. And it's not just because the copy is exactly the same as when Rush Limbaugh reads it.

I'd love to meet just one person who bought anything because Dennis Miller recommended it.

No comments: