Thursday, May 04, 2006

Just Try and Force Me

It seems that George Lucas has given in to fan demand or maybe he just wants to make a run at Bill Gates as the richest gazillionaire on the planet but he is finally releasing the original three Star Wars movies on DVD in their original form. Pardon me if this fails to generate a big whoop.

As it so happens, I have the original movies on VHS - unaltered - and frankly, had little or no desire to purchase the digitally tweaked versions when they came out in 2004. The new (old?) ones will be available individually in 2-disc sets that include a copy of the tweaked one with it (why? So some hopeless geeks can set up two TV's and watch them side-by-side?). Apparently, they will not be released as a box set and will only be available from Sept 12 - Dec 31.

Now, I wouldn't mind having the original movies on DVD and this will probably be my only chance to get them, but I have to say my enthusiasm is not what it was. For me, Lucas has used up a lot of capital with his technically stunning but emotionally stunted newer films (SW I-III) and I'm not sure if it's worth my time or money.

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

No comments: