Thursday, May 31, 2007

Big Google is Watching

This post over at Boing Boing is funny, in a twisted sort of way. I mean, on the one hand, the whole street view thing from Google Maps is kind of cool, allowing you a virtual-eye view of the street and making it easy for you to locate landmarks and, if you've never been there, give you a picture of the landmark to recognize when you get there.

But what about private residences? Or, for that matter, what about people leaving public establishments they might not brag about to their friends and neighbors? What if they can identify you from your license plate?

And is it really true that you "don't have a right to privacy over what can be seen while driving the speed limit past your house"?

Now, I don't know about you, but this sort of thing makes me want to stand naked in the front window of my home so I can offer a skin-flute salute when the picture-van drives by. Of course, I know that it will be eons before anyone thinks about (or cares) street-mapping Vermont so all I can say is, when the photographer shows up, he better have a long lens.

Update: Since posting these links, all but the first two no longer show you the street-view shown when I linked them. I'm not sure if this is a glitch on my part or if Google is taking some preemptive action. Either way, if you live in a fairly populated area, I encourage you to go to Google Maps and discover your "street". Might open your eyes a bit.

No comments: