Friday, April 21, 2006

It's That Time of Year

Last week I retired my shovel and bag of De-Icer for another winter, thus risking the wrath of the weather gods. I've learned you have to be very careful when you pull your shovel in up here because in Vermont winter - or the threat of it - never really ends. And this was such a strange winter anyway - on average, March was colder than January - that no one knows what to expect. Snow in April is the norm, rather than the exception, and frosts occur with regularity through May.

However, I have my own method of determining the onset of Spring and in twelve years it's never failed me. Just before retiring my shovel I spied and killed my first wood spider. These buggers live in the nearby forest and never fail to show up in bunches once winter goes belly-up. Oh, and the one I killed? Yep, it was in the shower.

No comments: