Saturday, February 09, 2008

Night Thoughts

This morning I woke at 4:30, stared at the clock for a moment and then realized I didn't have to get up for another 90 minutes. So I rolled over and went back to sleep. Ah, bliss! Compared, at least, to the previous night, when I woke at 2:30 and, try as I might, couldn't get back to slumber land.

Why does that happen?

One reason has to do with how comfortable I am when I wake (and God only knows why I wake in the first place - driving home the other day I happened to glance down at the odometer at the exact moment my truck was hitting 153,000. Why? I have no clue. I pay no attention whatsoever to my odometer and yet, for some unknown reason, I just happen to be looking when it rolls over a milestone).

Last night, I was very warm and comfy when I opened my eyes and so it was pretty easy to close them again and drift off to sleep. The previous night I was uncomfortable and, for some reason, couldn't seem to get comfortable after I woke. I have to be very careful doing anything during the night - getting up to use the bathroom, etc. - because once my brain kicks in, that's it. I might as well check out the late night offerings on Skinemax.

Now, I know there are physical reasons for waking during the night (blood sugar dropping, etc.) but I will go weeks and even months without it happening and then suddenly I'll get on a roll. The worst part is, there are no pleasant thoughts when you wake at those hours. The Danes call the hours before dawn the "Wolf Hours".

Lately, the wolves have been hungry.

1 comment:

Michele said...

I go through the same kind of cycles. My mind keeps going long past my tired body.